• Who is eligible to register for free milk?

    • A registered childminder
    • A registered day care provider
    • A local authority which provides day care
    • Those providing day care to children under 5 years in schools
    • Those providing day care in a nursery or crèche for children (under 5 years) of management and staff of certain establishments (eg children’s homes, voluntary or community homes, NHS hospitals) which are exempt from registration should contact the NMRU to confirm their eligibility before registering with the scheme.
  • How do I sign up for the NMRU Milk Scheme?

    Firstly register on the Government’s Nursery Milk  (NMRU) website and complete their online registration.

    Allocate McQueens Dairies as your milk provider then get in touch with us to arrange your first nursery milk delivery

  • What information do I need to register for free milk?

    You will need to provide:

    • Existing NMRU number (if previously registered with the NMRU)
    • Childcare provider setting name and address
    • Your contact details
    • Childcare registration certificate number
    • The childcare setting opening times
    • A best estimate of attendance figures of eligible children
    • The name of your milk agent (McQueens Dairies)
    • You will be asked to sign a declaration and agree to the rules of the Nursery Milk Scheme.
  • What is my NMRU ‘registration’ or ‘certificate’ number?

    This is the unique number on your Ofsted (England), CIW (Wales) or Care Inspectorate (Scotland) registration certificate.

    If you select Ofsted or Department for Education as your registration authority, please enter your 6 digit URN reference. If you are an Early Years setting, this will be your ‘EYxxxxxx’ number.

    If you’re having problems locating your 6 digit URN, it can be found on the respective Ofsted or Department for Education websites, using your setting’s postcode.

    If you do not have a certificate to upload, we will contact you if we need any further information in order to verify your registration status.

  • Can settings registered with Child Minder Agencies (CMA) sign up?

    CMA registered child minders are not currently able to register or claim from the Nursery Milk Scheme because the regulations governing the scheme do not permit this. The Department for Education is currently working with the Department of Health (who are responsible for the Nursery Milk Scheme) to examine the options for enabling CMA child minders to claim. Further information will be published via the Nursery Milk Scheme website as soon as it is available.

  • How do I make a claim to receive a free milk delivery?

    Once you have fully registered with the Nursery Milk Scheme you will have access to your online account on the NMRU website. You can make a claim by logging in to your account and navigating to claims. Our team at McQueens Dairies can help you every step of the way with your application.

  • How long does the child need to attend the setting to be eligible for free milk?

    Children under 5 years who attend the setting for two or more hours are entitled to 1/3 of a pint of milk each day they attend the setting.

    Children who attend for less than two hours are not eligible under the Nursery Milk Scheme.

    If a child attends the setting all day, they are only entitled to one 1/3 of a pint portion of milk.

  • What types of milk can I claim for?

    You may be reimbursed for any pasteurised cows’ milk, including whole and semi-skimmed, under the Nursery Milk Scheme. The milk can be organic.

    The Nursery Milk Scheme does not include fully-skimmed milk, goat’s milk, soya milk, lactose free milk, fluoridated milk or unpasteurised milk, milk with added flavours, colours, vitamins or other additives.

  • What units of milk can I claim for?

    The new NMRU Millk system has been built to make claiming as easy as possible. The system will automatically convert pints or litres to eligible portions based on the attendance figures you have entered, you simply need to input your milk purchases as per your receipt.

    When claiming for a ‘carton’ this refers to a single portion carton (189ml or 200ml). All other sized cartons or bottles should be claimed per litre or pint.

  • Why do I need to submit attendance data?

    As a childcare provider registered with the Nursery Milk Reimbursement Unit, it is your responsibility to ensure the amount of milk being claimed for your setting is accurate. Even if you are claiming via an agent, it is your responsibility to enter your setting’s attendance data. A claim made via an agent will not be reimbursed until it has been validated against your attendance data.

  • If McQueens Dairies are making claims on my behalf, do I still need to register?

    Yes. You are required to register with the NMRU, providing the information specific to your childcare setting. You will also be asked to enter attendance data to enable the NMRU to verify claims made on your behalf by the milk agent. This can be done via your online account.

  • What's the catch?

    There is no catch. The free milk scheme is funded by the government.

    As a childminder or Nurser you are entitled to receive to receive 189ml (1/3 pint) of milk each day for each child, free of charge delivered to your doorstep.


Our Products

View our range
McQueens Dairies products

Check out our latest news!

Show me more
Phone icon

We're here to help Contact us

More help this way
Phone icon