Autumn is here which only means one thing. It is officially soup season! Pumpkins aren’t just for
carving spooky faces into, they are also the perfect ingredients for autumn soup recipes. From
pumpkin spice lattes, to pumpkin pie the options are endless. But we have opted for something
a little different with this pumpkin soup recipe!
Autumnal Pumpkin Soup
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Onions Finely chopped
- 1 kg Pumpkin, Peeled, deseeded and chopped into chunks
- 700 ml Vegetable or chicken stock
- 150 ml
McQueens Double Cream
For the Croutons
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 slices Wholemeal bread Crusts removed
- 1 Handful Pumpkin Seeds
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan, then gently cook 2 finely chopped onions for 5mins, until soft but not coloured.
- Add 1kg pumpkin, cut into chunks, to the pan, then carry on cooking for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally until it starts to soften and turn golden.
- Pour 700ml vegetable or chicken stock into the pan and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 mins until the squash is very soft.
- Pour 150ml of McQueens double cream into the pan, bring back to the boil, then purée with a hand blender. For an extra-velvety consistency, you can pour the soup through a fine sieve.
- To make the croutons: cut 4 slices of wholemeal seeded bread into small squares.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan, then fry the bread until it starts to become crisp.
- Add a handful of pumpkin seeds to the pan, then cook for a few mins more until they are toasted.
- Reheat the soup if needed, taste for seasoning, then serve scattered with croutons and seeds and drizzled with more olive oil, if you want
This recipe is great to make in batches as it lasts up to 3 months when frozen. Simply pop the
container out of the freezer and either cook from frozen or let it defrost in the fridge.
Did you know that every part of a pumpkin is edible? From the skin to the seeds, you can make
the most out of your pumpkin (it is even good for dogs as a healthy snack).
Join thousands of happy McQueens Dairies customers and enjoy fresh daily milk
delivered straight to your doorstep before 7am with our local milkmen. Add on
alternative milk, cream, yoghurt, juice or just choose a milk and eggs delivery. Start your
deliveries on our online shop.