The Government Nursery Milk Scheme Explained
Did you know the NMRU Nursery Milk Scheme entitles all children under 5 who attend approved daycare facilities to receive 1/3 pint (189ml) of free milk every day? This includes childminders, nurseries, and crèches!
What is the nursery milk scheme?
The Nursery Milk Scheme is operated by the Nursery Milk Reimbursement Unit (NMRU) on behalf of the Department of Health. It entitles children under 5 attending a nursery or in the care of a registered childminder to receive ⅓ pint of milk daily. Today, 55,000 childcare providers across Britain take part in the scheme, with milk reaching and benefitting around 1.5 million children every day, free of charge.
The scheme has been running since the 1940s, greatly benefiting many millions of children across multiple generations during that time.
What are the benefits of the nursery milk scheme?
At McQueens Dairies, we believe it is vital for children to get the best start in life, which improving nutrition is an important factor. Calcium, Vitamin D, and other minerals are best absorbed from milk in the early stages of a child’s development. Vitamin D is essential for the formation of strong and healthy bones in children.
Who is eligible to register for free milk?
- A registered childminder
- A registered daycare provider
- A local authority that provides daycare
- Those providing daycare to children under 5 years in schools
- Those providing daycare in a nursery or creche for children (under 5 years) of management and staff of certain establishments (e.g. children’s homes, voluntary or community homes, NHS hospitals) which are exempt from registration should contact the NMRU to confirm their eligibility before registering with the scheme.
How do I claim free nursery milk for my child or children in my care?
There are just 3 easy steps to apply for free milk. We can deliver up to 5 days per week depending on location and order. Once the below steps are complete, your milk will be delivered to the doorstep before 7 am, completely free of charge by your local milkman.
NB: You must register with both the NMRU and McQueens Dairies prior to making a claim.
- Enter your details here or call us on 0141 471 3591.
- Log on to the Government’s NMRU website and register there selecting McQueens Dairies as your agent.
- Once we have the application form and confirmation from the NMRU that you have registered for the scheme, we will be in contact with you to set up your deliveries.
As easy as that!